Saturday, August 13, 2011

"Do Sea Urchin Have Eyes?"

Sea Urchin, or Uni, as prepared 
...And so was my question to the Sushi chef based on a colleague's comment about me eating mostly vegan, or as he said, "So you don't eat anything with eyes."

Sea Urchin
I have come to rely on the old restaurant stand by, luckily close to my office, the restaurant chain, Haru. So, it's back to double order of miso, double order of edamame, and a salad with dressing on the side.  But, I had such a desire for my favorite dish  - Uni, or Sea Urchin. So, to play a little trick on myself to eat nothing with eyes, I ordered sea urchin. Now, obviously, that is not vegan, and certainly shell fish has no eyes, but since I am not being militant about it, it was a little treat.  And that is perfectly fine - be it chocolate chip cookie, piece of cake, or, yes, even a Nathan's hot dog. If you are eating a diet mostly in fruits, vegetables, legumes, nuts and seeds, you absolutely can indulge in guilty pleasures. It's when you reverse that order, that is when you get into trouble!


No comments: