Monday, September 6, 2010

Just A Food Diary

Happy Labor Day! Although the significance of the day is a whisper of what it once was, it is still a three day weekend, and the beginning of football season.
I spent the day in my apartment at the computer - the windows were open for the gorgeous day, but I relaxed a little too much over my vacation and had lots to do.

Today I had breakfast cereal from the company Food for Life with almond milk. I remember seeing this company at the health food trade show, and they had samples of excellent vegan meat that was second only to VBites.  The cereal was pure organic wheat, barley, millets, etc. It tasted like Grape Nuts brand cereal, very crunchy pellets.  Food for Life's brand is Ezekiel 4:9: "Take also unto thee wheat, and barley, and beans, and lentils, and millet, and spelt, and put them in one vessel, and make bread of it." So, you could say they are banking on a marketing slogan from a higher authority. It's not delicious by any means, and its hard to hear yourself think with the loud crunching, but it's extremely healthy, and you feel rather primordial eating it.

For lunch I grilled my zucchini, summer squash, and onions, sliced up my avocado and tomato, slathered my slightly toasted whole wheat tortilla with spicy hummus and enjoyed. Immensely.

A couple of hours later I grabbed a small handful of pistachio nuts, and also made a raspberry smoothie with frozen raspberrys and bananas.

For dinner I had picked up some organic whole wheat spinach pasta and cooked it up. It was just OK, sort of bland, and I have had much better tasting spinach linguine in the past. I heated up some Mario Batali marinara sauce and threw in some fresh tomatoes which was excellent.

But what surprised me was that when I looked at the package compared to a regular box of linguine it was identical in carbohydrates, 43g, and calories from fat, 15g. I guess the healthy/organic/spinach package fooled me into thinking it was a good alternative to regular pasta. Oh, well, I feel good.

By the way, since I'm writing a book about this experience I have been rereading every one of my almost 300 postings. Boy, I really had no idea what I was getting into back then! So much unnecessary apprehension for such a great change in my life!

No comments: