Saturday, February 20, 2010

My 100th Post




A week ago when I boxed for the first time I really felt it in my lat muscle, even strained it a bit. All week it was a tad bothersome intermittently. After yesterday's boxing work-out I really aggravated my lower right side of my torso. This morning I was in some pain and it hurt to walk or sit. I decided I should get a massage.

I went to Equinox for a massage - it was a guy, and though I am more comfortable with a woman masseuse I figured I needed a really deep massage to really beat up my back (which I was hoping for). He did an admirable job, but he was a little guy and he was simply not strong enough to really do a great job on my lats. But, it felt better nonetheless, except when he finished by massaging the bottom of my feet...I almost kicked his teeth out. Involuntary, of course. Not a fan of the foot massage.

So, I was just too sore to exercise at all today. I felt fine about that since I worked out hard 4 days last week. Then when I talked to a girlfriend who was in Aspen and just got in from snowshoeing for two hours I started feeling guilty again. Oh, well, at least I sat in the steam room! Just 8 more days until I have to spend my time exclusively in the dreaded locker room of NYSC.

Oh, and since this gym has been my official scale I hopped on today...261 lbs.

I have lost 41 lbs thus far. The last month I have been stagnant between 30-37 lbs lost. You know, for the past two or three years I would dream of losing 40 lbs -- in between bites of my pork soup dumplings at Joe's Shanghai and bottles of Tsingtao beer, or medium rare porterhouse at Wolfgang's and glasses of Lagavulin scotch. It's nice to put 41 lbs behind me, forever, and even nicer to be doubly motivated with no desire to rest on my laurels!

OK, 34 lbs to go in 69 days!

Today's food intake:

Breakfast
* 3 prunes

Lunch - at Takism Turkish (BAD - should have made my own meals on the weekend!)
* Lentil soup
* Cucumber/tomato salad (BAD - too much oil)
* Hummus (BAD - Bread Terrence? Really, can you drop the friggin bread you crack head?!)

Dinner
* Berries, banana, pineapple, soy smoothie (GOOD - did not use any sorbet)
* Bowl of Edamame with flaxseed (GOOD - flaxseed a great source of Omega 3 usually found in fish, and needed for the body.)

OMEGA 3 TUTORIAL

From Tufts University Website

Omega-3 Fatty Acids

What are omega-3 fatty acids?

•A type of polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) that must be obtained through the diet because it cannot be made by the human body

Why are omega-3 fatty acids important?

•Omega-3 fatty acids may be important in preventing many health problems, including heart disease, rheumatoid arthritis, and cancer. They also play a role in improving mood and sharpening memory.

What foods are good sources of omega-3 fatty acids?

•Cold water fish are the highest source of EPA and DHA omega-3 fatty acids which have been shown to be the most effective in reducing cardiovascular disease risk. Other foods contain these fatty acids as well, however, in smaller amounts. The current recommendations are to have 7 to 11 grams of omega-3 fatty acids each week.

(I must note that Dr. Fuhrman in Eat to Live acknowledes the great benefits in fish and Omega 3's, but warns against over-reliance because of pollution and high mercury levels in some fish as well).

5 comments:

re: health benefits of fish oils said...

If you're concerned about mercury levels from fish you can use a pharmaceutical-grade fish oil. These specially-formulated oils must be tested to ensure they contamin minimal amounts of mercury, PCB's, dioxins and other contaminants. Pharmaceutical grade fish oils come in different flavors (lemon, strawberry, orange) and will not cause fishy burps or a fishy aftertaste. These oils also contain higher levels of omega 3 fatty acids compared to lower grade fish oils. Good luck with your vegan lifestyle and wish you good health.

Anonymous said...

Genial post and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you for your information.

Emily said...

Yeah Terry on the 41 lbs of excess fat OFF! Yeah! That's more than a 40# bag of softener salt. Yes, I know, in NYC you don't need to lug around softener salt, but those of us who live in the country, need to lift them and dump them into water softeners on a regular basis. They are HEAVY! Believe me, your heart, knees, back, feet are thanking you! Keep up the great job!

Anonymous said...

Terry, congrats on the great continued progress. There is a lot of great research on omega three fatty acids. I heard a speaker that referenced an paper that "calculated that known cardiovascular
benefits of eating farmed salmon outweigh the theoretical risks for cancer (from PCBs) by a ratio of 400:1". *JAMA 2006;296. Yes, there are risks but sometimes the benefits outweigh them. Also, there is nothing like the taste of good food!
Trina

Terrence said...

Great info Trina - thanks so very much!