Thursday, July 1, 2010

When the Moon Hits Your Eye...

Still sore today. OK, it's official, I really did over-do it on Monday. Heading to the gym now, so we'll see how it goes.

Last night we went to the 100 year old Sunshine Cinema (an old Yiddish vaudeville house) on the Lower East Side to see the Italian film, "Lo Sono L'amore." (I Am Love). Also, there was a movie premier happening at the same time for the film "The Kids Are All Right" with stars Julienne Moore and Annette Benning to add to the excitement of living in the greatest city in the world.  It's not often you have to push through security and photographers to go see a movie on date night! "I Am Love" was one of those artistic films beautifully shot that critics love, and I was left saying, "I don't get it." I mean a few years ago I would have thought, what the hell was that film about? But now that I study film, am writing a screenplay, read books about film, and attended classes, I can certainly appreciate it as a piece of art; but as human drama it appeared irrational...maybe it was a cultural thing being Italian? Regardless, what I really enjoyed was the cinematography, and the sensuousness of food. Although the scene of ecstasy was over prawns, the real hero, food-wise, was fruits and vegetables. And I don't mean a cheesy after-school special!


The purity of grown vegetables and fruits in the Italian countryside has a part to play in this melodramatic, well-acted film. It really made careful food preparation, and fresh produce, and refined dining a showcase. It was very Italian , very beautiful, and very un-gluttonous. It made food, real food, unprocessed food, food not made by machines, nor people with hairnets and gloves, but rather humans passionate about growing and cultivating their food -- it made plant-based food (and flora and fauna) the height of beauty, and for that, I really enjoyed it. But, in the end, I thought it just had too many questions. A beautifully shot film should not leave a reasonably educated person saying, "So, what was in that note he sent his mother?" And "Wait, you mean they didn't know she was pregnant?" And, "Oh, you think he was in love with the chef too, no way!?"  FYI - Hardly spoilers, so don't sweat it!

Afterwards, we walked to get dinner. I was craving some fresh, meticulously prepared vegetables from a chef from Nice, but we settled for the restaurant at the new Crosby Street Hotel. After randomly running into the lady of London (a slight awkwardness as the ex met the Nurse), "Of all the gin joints, in all the world..."  all was fine and we sat outside on a gorgeous night and had a lovely meal. The appetizer was an exquisite plate of freshly prepared guacamole, hummus, and babaganoush. I broke a little and ordered the asparagus risotto, but it was not too cheesy at all, and quite good.

We then debated and discussed to the point of annoyance whether I should have a nice bordello on this beautiful evening outside in an opulent space after an Italian film that mixed sex and food like a horse and carriage. I was con, she was pro. I really am sick of discussing this issue. Really, really sick of it.

The Thursday before 4th of July weekend, and I am heading straight to the gym! But later on I am going to the Coffee Shop where I can have my favorite vegan wrap!

2 comments:

Naina said...

Terrence,

Sorry about the debate. I feel your pain from my perspective. Alcohol is not a problem. However, adult children that love Mom's home baked goods, can be quite a challenge. Especially since I love home baked goods too.
Worse yet, baking is a love of mine. It is hard to let go.
I too am finding that the 90/10
rule is hard to do. I fear for me it will have to be 100%. It seems like life will be long, and dry without luscious desserts.
Keep fighting. Perhaps we will grow to the place Ali resides.
Where drinks/desserts are a non-issue. :)

Vegan Epicurean said...

Brunello, count me in, LOL. Totally my weakness. Any other vino I can pass up but not brunello. Sorry, I know I am not helping tonight. You spoke to my Italian DNA. ;-)

Sounds like my kind of film. Thanks for the recommendation. I will definitely keep my eye out for this one.

Sorry to hear about your awkward moment. Those are never good. Glad it turned out well.

Ali