Saturday, October 2, 2010

Still in the Driver's Seat

"And no one's getting fat, except Mama Cass."    I could not get that song, "Creeque Alley" by the Mamas & the Papas out of my head as I was shopping. On one hand I was thinking of how 45 years ago that was a big deal - to be over weight, and on another I was thinking how I wish changing your weight was as easy as changing your hair style.  Well, I have had the same hairstyle since 1992, and it works, well, for me anyway. But my weight was not working for me. 

Since I decided to go back to being 100% vegan and 100% booze free for two weeks it immediately brought me back to my 6 month journey -- it's easier. Easier because I was taking the guess work out of my diet. Urges can be incredibly strong, but when you make stark choices then, well, you have no choice but to eat healthfully. So, I guess, I would suggest for anyone having trouble with their diet to just take a week and make healthy eating totally unambiguous. Just do it. I have found that urges pass infinitely quicker than guilt.

I have not been weighing myself, however, I have been measuring my belly -- not altogether the best way to measure your success, but for me it makes me happier. For instance, when I started this Vegan Quest last November, my belly protruded to an Arbucklesque 51 1/2" inches around! I finished in May at 43 1/2" inches! Now it's 44 1/4" and shrinking.

Since going out on my own there is no doubt that the reintroduction of alcohol, plus some decisions I made reversed my success. This past summer it was a bit of a see saw for me, and if I had reached my goal of losing 75 lbs that would be OK, but to come up short and then wrestle with weight gain and loss is not acceptable.

Anyway, I've been on a rather good trend, and I have accelerated it so I feel great!

No comments: