Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Redoubling My Efforts

So very sorry for the delay.

Friday night I met my good friend and father of 4 for a drink before heading to the FX Reunion. One of my closest friends, he once pulled me aside for a heart to heart about 5 years ago and asked if the way I was living my life was truly in my own best interest. Let me tell you, for a guy to say to another guy, "Hey, maybe you should let up a bit" regarding an over-indulgent lifestyle takes sheer guts. I will forever be thankful and appreciative of him for that.
We met at the outside bar next to Grand Central Terminal. I sipped one beer, while he downed two. I have known him for 16 years and in all our drinking days (especially when he was single) that never, ever, ever happened. It was always my two to his one. So I felt really good pulling back on the reins.

We went to Dewey's Flatiron for the reunion, and saw people I have not seen for more than a decade and a half. As a result, I looked more or less the same, girth wise, since it was during these years at FX that I first crept above the 250 lbs mark. Consequently, except for more wrinkles and the odd grey hair, I was told I looked about the same. FX was a special place since so many of the unknown hosts of the different shows, and drinking pals of ours, went on to some serious fame like Tom Bergeron, Jeff Probst, Orlando Jones, and Phil Keoghan.

For dinner my buddy and I went to P.J. Clarke's where my friend ordered the famous burger, and I the salad. He had some choice words for me, friendly ribbing, that I changed too much. But, I love the fact that I had a great time, kept cool control over my drinking, and ordered a salad without a second thought in a situation that screamed male bonding over burgers!

I had a few drinks, maybe a couple more than I wanted to, but all in all I was in complete control, and going for the salad instead of their iconic burger proved that.

1 comment:

Vegan Epicurean said...

Sounds like a nice night, congratulations on sticking to the salad. We are going out to dinner this evening with our wine drinking friends. I hope I do as well as you did on Friday. ;-)

Alicia