Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Day 38 -- Still Great





OK, so I mixed up my breakfast with an orange and banana - happy?

I was told about Soy & Sake Village and had to check it out since my biggest food craving has been sushi.

I got the rolls with brown rice, and cucumber and crushed peanuts, and asparagus and avocado, and they were pretty good. I wanted to try their "soy fish" products so I go the soy rock shrimp, and soy eel.

The soy rock shrimp was breaded to look like real rock shrimp, but I have to say, the soy fish sticks that I have at home are much better tasting.

The soy eel looked like and tasted like that cheap, frozen steak sandwich brand - Steak Umms.

The rolls were good - stick to the fake fish, and other products inside rolls and you'll be very happy.

After work I caught the movie "Up in the Air," which was a good film. Because the reviewers are falling all over themselves to praise it (and it deserves praise, but it's not the second coming of "The Godfather!"), shows what a dearth of good movies are out there. The point in mentioning all this is that I can't watch a film without full handfuls of popcorn! I can sit in an old oak bar with Christmas decorations, classic Christmas music, and a fireplace near by and STILL not imbibe in a nice scotch. I can sit at a Thanksgiving meal with a golden brown turkey inches away and not shove my face into its breast plate. But put me in a sticky seat of a movie theatre and I am a hopeless crack addict with popcorn! Even though it was small, and obviously nothing on it, it still bothers me that I can't do a Nancy Reagan and just say "no."

Later on I met up with friends at the bar at Keens Steakhouse. Walking into the 1885 Keens Steakhouse is so comfortable, it is like being bundled up in your mother's homemade quilt next to the fireplace on Christmas Eve.

Keens is pure heaven for lovers of history, meat, dark wood and scotch. The assortment of friends made comments about my slimmer look which is always good to hear. I spent an hour and a half inside Keens, and not once did I allow myself to be tempted by the mutton chops, or Edwardian bar. Keens is famous for their collection of clay pipes from their Pipe Club members such as Teddy Roosevelt, Babe Ruth, Will Rogers, Albert Einstein, George M. Cohan, J.P. Morgan, Stanford White, John Barrymore, General Douglas MacArthur and “Buffalo Bill” Cody. Not one vegan among them! Prior to 1885, Keens was a part of the Lambs Club, a famous theatre and literary group founded in London. Its manager was Albert Keen.

When I got home I wanted a quick snack and munched on a handful of pistachio nuts.

'Tis the season for temptation, but it is always a great feeling to show discipline for the greater good - your health!

1 comment:

Mawnie McCrae said...

Testing to see if it works?!

Great Job Terry!