Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The Last Days of Decadence






On Halloween night, October 31st and into the early morning hours of November 1st I was dressed, appropriately enough, as Jackie Gleason's Sheriff Buford T. Justice from "Smokey & the Bandit." I ate and drank like Gleason, and if I continued, I would end up like him. Now, on December 1st, and 23 lbs lighter I'm 1/3 of the way back to my fighting weight.

Today I had my requisite oatmeal - a bit watered down today - and raisins. For lunch I stumbled upon a little shop across from my barber that makes homemade soup and cookies - I stuck with the soup. It was mushrooms and beans - fabulous. I attended a tree lighting party tonight at some close friends' apartment with a group of people who were used to my lifestyle-impersonation of Jackie Gleason over a couple of lost weekends in Montauk. It took some convincing before they really did believe that I took the healthy road off the main street of decadence.

I'm seeing some results, and I know the last 50 odd pounds will be the toughest, but this diet void of animal products is certainly working.

4 comments:

RibEye said...

It's nice that your losing weight and getting back to your fighting weight.
You look great in your newest photo. However I wonder if you bent over and sticking your neck out is a little deceiving to us.

Terrence said...

Thanks. But, it's just a photo, not the Zapruder film.

Unknown said...

Keep it up Buford! You might as well make up come back for the MOFO's too!

Terrence said...

At least I know the fight song!