Thursday, January 14, 2010

Day 75




My principal Design was to Inform,
and not to amuse thee


- Johnathan Swift in "Gulliver's Travels"

I think, and re-think about the purpose of this vegan quest daily, and it was all the more fitting that I spent last night at one of New York City's best bars, Swift's Hibernian Lounge. Amongst the rich wood, aroma of ale, and literary paraphernalia I thought about my principal design of this effort.

Oh, sure, thinking about the documentation of the last 75 days I certainly enjoy amusing people, but, the unintended result was informing people about healthy eating, and motivation.

The motivation of others does not come from some stirring speech, or tearful plea, rather it comes from the fact that I am an everyman. I was a poster child of over-indulgence, and since I chose this endeavor people who know me are shocked. It's like watching that fat guy run in the marathon, the natural reaction is, "If he can do it, I can do it." I guess that has been the most gratifying moment thus far - not so much the weight I have lost, but because people tell me they tend to eat healthier after reading the blog.

For years, and years I thought the value I had to give was to amuse those gathered around at a pub.

But now, I can go to a great pub, order a cup of coffee, as seen here with my good drinking buddy, and tell people about Phytonutrients: the natural bioactive compounds found in fruits and vegetables that works together with vitamins, minerals, and fiber to promote good health. Ahhhhh, who am I kidding, I can't help myself but tell amusing stories in a pub!

"So, I once dated a hand model, and while at a cigar bar..."(Story, told in person only -- for legal reasons)

1 comment:

erin m said...

looking good, tpl!!
and i'm glad you were kidding about sitting in a bar and discussing phytonutrients. blech.