Sunday, January 24, 2010

Good Weekend




This is a football-watching truncated post.

First off, great season for the J-E-T-S, but they came up a bit short.

Friday night I smoked cigars at a bar in the East Village with a buddy where a majority of the conversation was about...carbohydrates. He is a diabetic.

Discussing food is actually quite interesting to me because it is a discussion about how to fuel your body. Whereas all of us can become quite animated about food for pleasure, it is interesting to dive into the science of what makes us live.

The weekend can best be summed up as miso soup, salads, and hummus.

Earlier today while watching football there was a strong desire for chicken wings and a pint of beer. Although it is still a sacrifice and not the norm, I do feel empowered by pulling a Nancy Reagan and just saying No.

I am going to dinner tonight and will be watching the second football game. Perhaps there will be something worth discussing. I will say that I did receive my first word of discouragement from a close friend's fiance who said (Mind you I am almost 3 months in and I was munching on celery sticks and drinking seltzer at the time at a party in Queens) that I will "never" be able to reach my goal. Really? It is so peculiar to find some women who are so sure of man's inability to exhibit self discipline with the suddenness of an on-off switch as I did three months ago. When she said I would never be able to reach my goal I went from shock, to mild anger, to dismissiveness, to inner-laughter. Please, I have overcome some herculean temptations going back to day one on November 1st. This goal will be reached...PERIOD!

For now, I feel like I am very close to being a master over my lifestyle -- it is not perfect, but, I am the king of my diet.

“It is not a sign of arrogance for the king to rule. That is what he is there for.”

-- William F. Buckley Jr

"I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul."


-- William Ernest Henley

No comments: