Thursday, November 19, 2009

Day 18




I'm getting impatient. I want to feel better and look thinner by large strides each day, but it is small steps. I need to keep this impatience under control. I have not eaten this healthfully in consecutive days for, well, ever. I guess at 41 it does not fall off you as quickly.

Yesterday I had a couple of bananas for breakfast, and then my vegan wrap at The Coffee Shop for lunch. I really do like that meal! I went over to the book store to pick up another edition of Dr. Fuhrman's "Eat to Live." While at the book store there were rows and rows of books on dieting and health. It really is overwhelming how many books are there. Each with their own shred of truth, and each with a heavy marketing angle. Bottom line, even though I have not read "Omnivore's Dilemma" or "In Defense of Food" I buy into Michael Pollan's simple mantra: Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants

Dr. Fuhrman's book is wonderful in not only explaining the vital importance of a nutrient dense diet, and how it will accelerate your weight loss and prevent diseases, but he debunks conclusively all the other fad diets out there.

Last evening I had a work dinner at our galleries and though the catering staff was very accomodating with my vegetable plate, since short ribs was the only main course, it is still weird for waiters to loudly ask me, "Are you the vegan?" I am not ashamed, but it was said in such a manner as to sound like, "Are you the guy that had to be different than everyone else? Like one small piece of meat is going to kill you? Are you that guy that wants to eat like a rabbit?" OK, so I am still a little touchy.

My drinking temptations continued on with a going away party at a bar called Bourbon Street. It was an industry event so I might as well have been dressed up like the Geico Caveman without my drink - in a room full of heavy drinkers I am the last person to be standing there with a glass of seltzer. Oh, well, many friends promised me they look forward to hanging out with me again....in April.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, someone told me once, too, that patience is a virtue.

But at the end of the day, slower loss is more permanent. The quick fixes and fad diets don't work, and so many of them are bad for you. I never understood about Atkins that you can eat all the red meat you want, but things like carrots, strawberries, and brown rice, are off limits.

I'd imagine the not drinking at these events is as hard as, if not harder than, eating more healthfully. Good for you for sticking to it.