Sunday, November 29, 2009

End of Week 4




I think it was fitting to end my first month on this vegan diet with the long Thanksgiving Day weekend. It gave me plenty of time to think and not act on impulses for food or drink that increase weight gain.

I heard a terrific quote from former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee in talking about the U.S. Health problem. He said that the problem is like the NFL - you've got 22 players on the field that need to rest, and 70,000 fans in the stadium that need to exercise. So very true.

Over this weekend I realized that my greatest urges to eat high fat, low nutrient food was when I was very hungry. I was only hungry when I chose not to eat a breakfast, or lunch at a reasonable time. I got caught up doing other things, ignored my normal physical hunger, and then after a couple of hours I was starving at inopportune times to eat healthfully - like at the movie theatre. I've read too many people skip breakfast, and that it is the most important meal of the day. So, shame on me for skipping breakfast twice over this long weekend. If I am going to exhibit discipline over what I eat, I can surely exhibit same when I eat. I have also noticed that often my urges to drink alcohol is when I am bored. So, don't be bored. It is like when you were a child and you whined to your mother that you were bored - what was her response? Go outside and play. That is why so many generations of children were lean. Since I cannot very well go outside and play kickball while socializing with friends at 11 O'clock at night I typically combat that urge with telling one of my elongated stories - other's might be reaching for a pint out of boredom, but I happily forget my urges by the end of the story.

Over the weekend I found myself socializing with a friend at an Irish pub, and simultaneously racking my brain on where to eat in that neighborhood. I skeptically flipped open the menu of the Cornerstone Tavern and found both a delicious hummus and pita bread appetizer, and a huge, fresh salad. Yes, even in an Irish pub I can eat well!

Today, Sunday, I did not even think about going to weigh myself which I think is a positive. I am trying not to obsess myself with how much I lose each week. I will weigh myself at the gym tomorrow.

All told, I ate many salads this weekend - either oatmeal or whole wheat toast for breakfast - and a terrific vegan meat rashers for dinner.

My work-outs over this extended weekend were limited, so I am eager to get back on schedule again!

Finally, yeah, I am a month in, and I feel really good!

No comments: