Monday, November 16, 2009

Week 3, or Weak 3?




Breakfast was a large cup of Oatmeal and raisins.

I took my old assistant out to lunch at Markt. I ordered the endive salad which was quite good, and the penne, tomato sauce and basil without the cheese. Being a Belgian restaurant there were quite a few Europeans sitting mid-day enjoying a golden brown Belgian ale, and any number of fish dishes. I envied them.

When my belly is full a hamburger looks greasy and unhealthy, but when I am hungry it looks delicious. Coming into week three I am just as determined, but the urges are greater. Yet, as I type this I am watching a documentary about the Dust Bowl, and suddenly my internal pissing and moaning is embarrassing and shameful. For ten years the toughest Americans survived on cornbread and beans with bits of dust in their mouths. I have nothing to complain about!

Was is it willful ignorance?

Tonight I was in the mood for some good hummus. I went to the Turkish restaurant around the corner and got some hummus, warm flat bread, and an awesome salad.

Happily eating away at the salad I realized that there were these very thin, tiny white shavings, it looked like coconut sprinkles. I became more and more aware of the taste - Oh, who the hell was I kidding, it was cheese! Damn it!

Well, like forgetting it's Friday during Lent while eating a turkey sandwich, it was unintentional. It was not much, just a sprinkling, but, I chose to eat on after I discovered my error.

It took 16 days before I made this mistake, so that's not too bad. Also, I have so radically changed not only my diet, but my lifestyle that I can't be too hard on myself. It was an honest mistake that I was not even paying attention to until midway through. I tried to eat around the cheese when I realized what happened, but c'mon, that didn't work too well.

Tomorrow is gym day, so I will do my penance through an extra hard work-out.

The good news: The commercial for chicken wings during Monday Night Football does not look appetizing at all...then again, I am full.

No comments: