Friday, November 27, 2009

Sailing through Thanksgving like RMS Carpathia





Need not have worried, yesterday's Thanksgiving turned out to be like all others -great.

First things first, no Tofurky. I had a Vegan Roast. It tasted just fine - pretty good actually! It looked like three hockey pucks stacked up and had the color of tree bark, but it tasted like condensed stuffing with a meat flavor. It was pretty good - I enjoyed it. My gracious hosts also made a vegan stuffing using mushrooms instead of pork and vegetable stock instead of chicken stock. Rounding out my great meal were boiled potatoes, and grilled peppers, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, string beans, and asparagus.

It was a great and filling meal that induced a food coma while watching football - in other words, a perfect Thanksgiving!

Sadly, I was unable to partake in the traditional Pumpkin Pie since I did not find time to get an alternative. However, watching a couple of foreign college students from Germany happily dig into pumpkin pie for the first time, and on their first Thanksgiving was worth any great taste to my palate. And dessert for me was excellent. I had Mini Cafe Twists from Trader Joe's - they were cookie twists with cinnamon. These treats had no dairy, and were 30 calories per cookie.

Speaking of palate, my friends take on the vegan roast ranged from "not good" to "not bad at all." So, I think my taste buds are more equipped to handle these new foods after almost four weeks of this diet. But in the end, you want a meatless substitute? This vegan roast was a very good alternative.

Thanksgiving was a joy, and that was really my last big hurdle in this new lifestyle. Any fears of curling up in the corner in a cold sweat while gnawing on a piece of cardboard were dismissed immediately.

I can now fully comprehend what these new food choices will entail, and I am not worried one bit about any elements that would be a determinant to this new lifestyle.

I hope everyone enjoyed a terrific and blessed Thanksgiving!

VEGAN ROAST
Ingredients
Water, wheat protein, vegetable fats and oils, soya flour, vegetable protein, flavouring, starch, thickeners: carrageenan, locust bean gum; malt extract

Energy: 1261.00kJ / 301.00kcal
Protein: 24.80g
Carbohydrate: 4.20g
(of which sugars) 0.40g
Fat: 20.20g
(of which saturates) 6.20g
Fibre 0.30g
Sodium 0.50g
Calcium 0.00mg

No comments: