Sunday, November 22, 2009

Whip It Saturday


Saturday started with two pieces of whole wheat toast and soy nut "peanut butter" and ended with a seltzer and cranberry at 4 AM -- with small breaks for salad and asparagus, and too much bar popcorn. While others grab a slice of pizza on the run as we bounce around on a Saturday night, I am forced to improvise with a salad & asparagus dinner at P.J. Clarke's which was unsuccessful in filling me up, so I indulged in delicious popcorn at one of NYC's oldest bars.

My Uncle, my buddy and me met my cousin at Pete's Tavern to warm-up before the show. My cousin is stage manager for DEVO who was playing down the street at Filmore's Irving Plaza. We struck up a conversation with a group going to the concert as well. Noticing my seltzer waters the conversation naturally turned to my veganism. More quizzical looks!

What is Veganism? Here is time for a good lesson:

The Vegan Society was founded in 1944 by Donald Watson and Elsie Shrigley, in response to the broadening of the term "vegetarian" to include the eating of dairy products. The first vegan society in the United States was founded in California in 1948. The word vegan was coined in 1944 by Donald Watson, who combined the first three and last two letters of vegetarian to form "vegan," which he saw as "the beginning and end of vegetarian."


DEVO was a great show! We had backstage passes and it was quite a scene - clearly it would have been more fun had I been drinking. As we bounced around from the Belmont Lounge to P.J. Clarke's to the Pig 'n' Whistle I was able to witness many people in each bar get drunker and drunker as the night wore on. More than once I heard people express hunger that was satiated by pizza or burgers. Glad I am not marching down that path anymore.

In the end, I had a great time, but did not have the energy to see it through to the end of the evening as bars closed up at 4 AM, but did it anyway to be a good host.

How fitting that one of the best songs performed Saturday was "Freedom of Choice."

No comments: